well, that pretty much handles all the freezing and crashes whilst i wander and interact inworld. if you're having some trouble managing the sl viewer 2's bit stream you might want to try what i've done for my installation. if you enlargen the pic above you'll notice i was testing on a SIM with 23 active agents. i was able to maintain a surprisingly fluid feel to my avatar's movement with relatively devoid of hiccups and freezes. prior to tweaking the cache and bandwidth settings i was lucky to stay inworld for very long without total viewer freezeup. dancing about at 20 frames per second with shadows, smoothing, projection lighting and ultra graphic features on really brings life back to the world.
i had initially set the Setup > Maximum bandwidth to an obscene 10,000kbps (with subsequent complete failure). reducing that firehose pressure to 1,000kbps provides me with a more usable and satisfying amount. trying to up the maximum incrementally seems to bring back the lag spikes. i'm happy with what works even if it's not ubermax.
my second tweak was to reduce the cache size. i had usually set it to consume 1Gb of my HD. that never seemed to be much of a problem with Snowglobe or any of the other regular viewer's before v2. since viewer 2 has completely different cache files i thought i'd do away with its constraints on the entire system load as much as possible. i'm not sure if reducing the cache to the viewer's minimum (64 Mb) adds to the happy functionality, aside from the bandwidth pleasure, but it sure doesn't appear to diminish any value it might have provided.
oh, i also turned off the HTTP Textures and HTTP Inventory from the Develop menu. but at this early stage of testing i've not done an A-B comparison.
if anyone's having trouble with their lagging/crashing, this might be cheaper than chasing the elusive tail of the "i've got to get a new computer" solution. making these simple changes has certainly saved my sl.